In the first edition of It Starts with the Egg, I explained that the two most important supplements for improving egg quality are a good quality multivitamin and CoQ10 (e.g. Jarrow’s ubiquinol). These are both important because they help to prevent oxidative damage to sperm.
In the second edition, I explain new research suggesting that for couples with a history of miscarriage, it may be especially helpful for men to choose a multivitamin that contains methylfolate, rather than synthetic folic acid. Recommended brands include:
- Pure Encapsulations O.N.E. Multivitamin
- Best Nest Men’s Multi +
- UK: NATURELO Prenatal Whole Food Multivitamin
Even without a history of multiple miscarriages, it is likely still best to choose one of these multivitamins containing methylfolate, or one that contains natural food folate, such as Vitamin Code for Men.
Beyond a multivitamin and CoQ10, there are now further supplements supported by strong scientific evidence, as explained in the Second Edition of It Starts with the Egg:
- Alpha-lipoic acid:
- Omega-3 fats (in fish oil)
For men who are reluctant to take pills:
- Smarty Pants Men’s Complete Gummy (this really does not contain enough selenium, but it is much better than skipping a multi entirely)
- Vitafusion CoQ10 Gummy (again, not the preferred form, but at least he will take it)
- Nordic Naturals – Nordic Omega-3 Fishies, (my kids actually love eating these)
- L-Carnitine Gummy, Extra Strength, 500mg
For research updates and more, join my monthly email newsletter: